Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Banana - Blueberry - Whole Wheat - Oatmeal Pancakes!!!

Sounds like a mouthful, right?  Well, it is, but in a very good way.

I've made these pancakes a number of times now, but I think I may have finally perfected them today.  So, I wanted to share the recipe with you.  :)  They are healthy, wholesome, easy filling, and incredibly tasty.  AND they are both husband and guest approved and acclaimed.  Enjoy!!

1 cup uncooked oatmeal (I use the quick-oats 'cause it's what's in my house!)
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons applesauce
1 teaspoon imitation (or real) vanilla extract
1-2 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups blueberries (frozen and thawed or fresh)

1.  Place the uncooked oatmeal in a food processor (I use my Magic Bullet!) and chop 'em up a bit.  I like to have a little bit of texture, so I don't make it into powder, but I do grind it finely.
2.  Combine the oatmeal, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
3.  In another bowl, beat together the egg, milk, applesauce, and vanilla.  I use my Magic Bullet again to mash the banana - it works perfectly and is SO much better than using your fingers, which yes, I have done.  Add the banana to the liquid mix and blend well.  Then add to the powdered mix.
4.  Cook pancakes over medium heat, dropping blueberries into the batter as the first side cooks.  Serve with Maple, Strawberry, or Blueberry syrup!!

These pancakes are great - and you can make them, no problem!!  If you try them, leave me a note and let me know what you think!!

Cheers!
Heather  :)