Saturday, November 13, 2010

Be Our Guest!!

Exciting news....  We have houseguests this weekend!!!

Many of you know that my husband and I recently moved across the country, leaving our beloved hometown, family, and friends behind.  Although this has been a really difficult transition for us, we are so blessed that many of our family and friends have promised to visit!!  (And, we have an open invitation - family and friends, VISIT US!!!)

Luckily, our new home has a GUEST ROOM!!  :D

I was really excited about the prospect of a guest room initially, and as a people-person, was thrilled at the prospect of having friends come to visit.  But then one day I realized that having guests meant...

I have to play HOSTESS!!  :/

Now, let me tell you about my best friend Becky.  Becky was born to parents who own a bed and breakfast.  Becky can cook and clean and do woodworking and sewing AND play the guitar - Becky is AMAZING.  Growing up, her friends called her Becky-home-eckie, and it's not hard to see why.

Becky has the gift of hospitality.

I do not.

You see, it doesn't come easily for me to have people in my home.  I love to cook and have a clean house, and I love inviting people into my life, but I don't think of the things like offering them a cup of tea or making sure they have matching towels and a huge breakfast waiting when they wake up in the morning.  I am NOT one of those people whom, after leaving my home, you feel like you've been treated like a queen.  I'm more of the "Make yourself at home - here's the fridge, here's the bathroom, and let's go have fun" type.  So, while I LOVE having people visit me, the idea of having HOUSE-GUESTS kind of stressed me out a little bit.

On the other hand, I love the idea of making people feel really important and welcome and comfortable in my home.  I guess what I'm trying to say (with way too many words) is, it doesn't come easily to me.  I'm a work in progress.

However, about a year or so ago, I was visiting a friend of mine and discovered a very small thing that made me feel EXTREMELY welcome in her home without the full bed and breakfast treatment.  It was a small basket sitting on the nightstand with a few toiletries in it and a note that said, "if you need it, take it.  be our guest."  And guess what?  I had forgotten toothpaste.  But I didn't have to have grungy teeth or ask my friend to borrow hers.  I could simply and quietly take the toothpaste in the guest basket.  BRILLIANT!

So, the first thing I did when we started putting together our little guest room was... you got it!  Buy a little basket!!  Then I raided the toiletries section at Walmart and... TAH-DAH!!!


Isn't it SO CUTE!?!?  And it was such a SIMPLE thing to throw together, but it's definitely a practical way to welcome people into our home!!  (I LIVE for practicality!!)


All you need to do this yourself is a small basket, and then a bunch of travel-sized toiletries. I used toothbrushes, toothpaste, body wash, hairspray, feminine products, shampoo, conditioner, downy wrinkle release, razors, and deodorant!   Finish it off with a guest book and some wash cloths and you have a guest basket for your own guest room!! 

All that to say, I may not have the "gift" of hospitality like my best friend Becky, but I have a comfy, welcoming guest room and a kitchen with enough cereal and milk to go around.  You're welcome to be our guest!!

Have a great weekend,
Heather

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, Heather.
I am a lot like you--it's not easy for me to think of those things either. You're doing a great job! I would love to visit you guys soon, just don't know when that may be.
Love you,
Hi, Shannon!
Christy

Melany said...

I recently started following your blog. I checked it out after my friend Linnea added, and I liked the idea/content. Anyway, I am currently doing a series of posts for my blog (Letters from Rosebud) entitled Lessons in Hospitality, and I think this post would be a great addition. I was wondering if you would mind if shared this with my readers (crediting it to you, of course), with a link back to your blog? Please comment back to let me know. Also, feel free to drop by: melany7.blogspot.com.

Karen L said...

I think we will visit you. Hehe :)

Princess Steph said...

I love this idea. It's something I started doing when I was an Army Wife and always had soldiers coming and going!! We don't have a guest room now, or a lot of guests, but it's still something I do. It has come in handy when Liz has friends over since they always forget stuff. And it makes me a cool step-mom to always have an extra toothbrush or ponytail holder when they need one!!

Linnea Wheeler said...

LOVE the basket idea! So fun. Chris and I would love to be able to visit you someday!

Also, I think that both the "bed and breakfast" hostess and the "make yourself comfy" hostess are equally encouraging. It's all a matter of personality and style.

-Linnea

Linnea Wheeler said...

P.S. I don't know how many times I've needed a toothbrush or a razor!