Friday, November 12, 2010

The Shannon Cookie

No matter how domestic (or NON-domestic) the wife may be, I think just about every wife has found that one cookie recipe that will make her husband smile... something to whip up for him after a long day at work or to pack in his lunch just to say "I was thinking about you."

My husband, Shannon, grew up LOVING his mom's chocolate chip cookies, and so I honestly thought I was out of luck in finding a cookie that my husband would love quite as much as he loves mom's.  But, it wasn't long before I discovered that a bit of personalization goes a long way.

I made up this recipe by combining a chocolate chip cookie, oatmeal cookie, and throwing in my husband's favorite candy - peanut butter mnm's!  They are gooey and chewy and chocolatey and good... enjoy!

The Shannon Cookie

Ingredients:

1 cup butter, softened  (NOT melted!!  If you keep your butter in the fridge, soften it by microwaving for 15-20 seconds, watching carefully to make sure it doesn't melt!!  Melted butter = flat, yucky cookies!!)
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups quick cooking oats
1 large bag peanut butter mnm's (you know, as many as you wanna throw in there).  :)
1 cup chocolate chips

Instructions:
1.  Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2.  In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until smooth (use your hand mixer or KitchenAid!).  Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla.  Combine flour, baking soda, and salt; stir into the creamed sugar mixture until just blended.
3.  Mix in the oatmeal using a large spoon or spatula.  Then add the chocolate chips and peanut butter mnm's!
4.  Refrigerate cookie dough (covered) until cool and firm; about 15 minutes.***
5.  Bake for 10-12 minutes in preheated oven.  Allow cookies to cool ON baking sheet.
6.  Serve warm with a glass of milk for best reaction.  :)

***Step #4 is an especially important tip!!  I struggled for awhile with my cookies coming out flat and hard.... making sure the dough is firm and cool really helps with this - and it works with any cookie recipe!!

Do you have any killer husband cookie recipes???  :)  I'd love to try them out!!  :D

I'm making these cookies today and taking them to the cast of "Jekyll & Hyde" to say thanks for welcoming me to our little theater family!!  :)  Good luck tonight, guys!!

Till next time,
Heather

3 comments:

Linnea Wheeler said...

YUM! Those are great tips! I'm going to be sure and refrigerate my dough next time and see how it turns out.

Also, I like the new look!:) It's fun

Lefty said...

They were awesome! Thanks!

Kschrage said...

LOVE the large bag of M&M's is included. Whenever a chocolate chip cookie recipe calls for 1 cup of chips, I ALWAYS add the whole bag (minus the handful I pop in my mouth). Tom will enjoy this recipe! Thanks Heather!